I always find myself trying to convert recipes for our family’s health needs- real food ingredients and dairy free- for special occasions. So, I wanted to share a new favorite recipe for yellow cake cupcakes with chocolate frosting!
A few tips: To make a real food powdered sugar, just grind your sucanat in a blender or food processor to a powdered consistency. You can of course use regular powdered sugar, it is up to you! I prefer real, pink salt but use what you have on hand.
Also, expeller pressed coconut oil will have NO coconut flavor, that is the kind we prefer in our family. (coconut flavored eggs in the morning are not popular here! haha)
Looking for a chocolate cake recipe? See my post HERE
Dairy Free, Real Food Vanilla Cupcakes and Chocolate Frosting (gluten free options)
See Detailed Nutrition Info on
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat or all-purpose flour (I like to do about 3/4 freshly ground whole wheat and 1/4 all purpose flour)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pink himalayan salt
- 1/2 c expeller pressed coconut oil
- 1 cup sucanat
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup rice, almond, or coconut milk, at room temperature
- NOTES: if you are gluten free as we are now, using a gluten free mix will work well here. I like to do 3/4c gluten free flour, and 1.4c almond flour)
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners, or spray with nonstick spray.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl
- Beat the coconut oil and sucanat in a mixer using the paddle attachment on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 4 minutes
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed
- Beat in the vanilla
- Reduce the mixer speed to medium low; beat in half of the flour mixture, then all of the milk, then the remaining flour mixture until combined.
- Pour batter into the muffin cups, filling about half full
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 15-18 minutes
- Let cool and top with frosting!
For the Dairy Free Frosting:
- 1/4 c coconut oil
- 1/3 c rice, coconut, or almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 c cocoa powder
- 3 1/2 c powdered sugar
- In a large bowl beat coconut oil and cocoa together until combined
- Add milk and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar until desired consistency is achieved.
- Adjust with more milk or powdered sugar if necessary for right consistency.
Disclaimer: Some links on this blog are affiliate links; when you use those links you help support my family, at no additional cost to you. Thank you!