Here are the simple instruction for how we make kombucha at home- our whole family enjoys kombucha, especially the kids. It is so fun in summer when it gets a really wild, fizzy taste from the warm, humid air.
- 1½ teaspoon loose tea or 2 tea bags
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2-3 cups water
- ½ cup starter tea or vinegar
- 1 tablespoon loose tea or 4 tea bags
- ½ cup sugar
- 6-7 cups water
- 1 cup starter tea or vinegar
Gallon Batch (I double this for the 2 gallon croc):
- 2 tablespoons loose tea or 8 tea bags
- 1 cup sugar
- 13-14 cups water
- 2 cups starter tea or vinegar
- Make the sweet tea by boiling the water, adding sugar, and steeping tea according to instructions; allow to cool completely (hot tea will kill the SCOBY)
- Add tea, SCOBY, and starter to the croc/jar and let ferment for 5-7 days.
The more kombucha you make with your SCOBY, the better the flavor will become. Older SCOBYs produce a much more flavorful batch than baby SCOBYs.
What I Use
I like to use a combo of oolong and black tea. You can really use any kind of caffeinated tea. I also like using tea from Strand Tea. My friend who introduced me to kombucha started me using their teas, and I still use them.
Any kind of white sugar will do for making the tea sweet; because the SCOBY eats it, you don’t need to worry about drinking sugary tea. =)
Disclaimer: Some links on this blog are affiliate links; when you use those links you help support my family, at no additional cost to you. Thank you!