Disclosure: I received this complimentary product through the Homeschool Review Crew
Zondervan‘s NIrV Adventure Bible for Early Readers is one of the very best beginner Bibles for children who are of reading age. We have use various versions of their Adventure Bible over the years. My children usually get this as their first “real” Bible around 7 years old, or when they really start to show me they’re old enough for the responsibility.
This is a beautiful, full color, hardback Bible made just for beginner readers who are ready to transition from read-to-me story Bibles, to a full text Bible. The NIrV translation is also going to work well for struggling readers, and those that do not speak English as their first language. It is going to be loved and treasured, I know our kids have all loved theirs. It makes a great gift, too!
What It Is
The NIrV Adventure Bible for Early Readers is a step up from story Bibles, and one step closer to reading the NIV version of scripture. (Of course later parent’s can have their children transition from NIrV to whatever translation they prefer.)
Because this Bible is the NIrV translation, it is written at a third grade reading level, using short sentences and easy to understand language. This helps early readers understand God’s Word sooner, one their own, without the struggle of words and comprehension they’re not yet ready for. It is a great choice for readers ages 6-10, or anyone who is considered a “beginning reader” and beyond.
The NIrV Adventure Bible for Early Readers offers:
- Complete text of the Bible in NIrV translation
- Full color text and illustrations (which my kids *love*)
- Articles and illustrations describing life in Bible times, to help children make connections from their world, to Biblical times
- Words to Treasure, which highlights great Bible verses to memorize (My oldest really loved this about her Bible)
- Interesting facts under Did You Know sections
- People of the Bible offering articles about people from God’s story
- Live It! sections offer ways to apply Biblical truths in everyday life
- Book introductions help explain useful information about the book, to help the reader’s comprehension
- A dictionary/concordance
- A color map section for locating places in the Bible. (This is also great for homeschool Bible activities)
- 9 point font-not too small for readers, but small enough for a Bible to is easy to carry around
While the features of The NIrV Adventure Bible are fabulous, I think the translation is pretty special. I love that it grows with your child, their maturity, and their understanding of The Word. This time my youngest daughter (almost 6) has enjoyed exploring a real Bible, and it definitely draws her in because of the language. It’s not a simple, choppy reader, but it’s not as complex as an adult translation like NIV, or ESV. Its developmentally appropriate language, vocabulary, and cadence make this Bible accurate, and fun to read. This is important for early readers, or even more seasoned readers.
I think this translation is not only more simple to understand, but because it is so clear for beginner readers, it makes that relationship with God seem more tangible. It can be intimidating as a child to not understand what you are reading. I love that this makes comprehension easier for all level of readers. This is going to be a wonderful addition to any homeschool, too! Scripture is a perfect way to do copywork for learning grammar, spelling, and vocabulary!
Connect With Zandervan
See more reviews for the NIrV Adventure Bible, from the Crew by clicking the banner below:
Disclaimer: Some links on this blog are affiliate links; when you use those links you help support my family, at no additional cost to you. Thank you!