Baby Sir is doing just wonderfully thus far. We came home with an easy baby. By The Baby Whisperer standards, he is an “angel baby,” meaning He only fusses when he has gas or has a serious complaint… and even then the fuss isn’t much. Because he was early, and is still young, this could all change I suppose. But in my experience their disposition stays pretty true to who they are as babies.
We have a pretty solid routine that doesn’t require much guess work on my part, yet. This is because I have to wake him for feedings. When we came home I thought for sure he would wake every few hours because he had low blood sugar at birth, was a big baby, and was a 37 weeker. But nope. He wouldn’t eat sooner than 3 hours, because he was so sleepy, so we settled on a 3 hour routine right away.
I had to wake him from the start, So I was able to determine our designated wake time from the beginning, which is really helpful when you have 4 other littles that depend on you every morning.
Ive swaddled Sir from birth, but today I tried the http://quietinthechaos.com/2021-3-day-free-trial-dating-sites/ at his 2nd MOTN feeding, and he loved it. He’s just about too big for it. So I am trying to decide if I get him the next size up or put him in the http://quietinthechaos.com/geek-dating-apps/. Baby #4 hated being swaddled, and loved the Love to Dream. Sir however likes being swaddled… I’m pretty sure he will be a thumb sucker, so whatever we do will need to be a transition swaddle (with the detachable arms) so he can safely roll and suck his thumb before long. I will probably try the love to dream first, because we already have it, and see how it goes.
here’s our routine at 4 weeks old:
- 730am DWT- nurse, big sister #4 gets to hold him, bottle
- 830 nap
- 1030am- nurse, big sister #3 holds him, bottle
- 1130 nap
- 130pm- nurse, big brother holds him, bottle
- 230 nap
- 430pm- nurse, if someone missed their turn to hold Sir they get it here, otherwise he stretches out and gets bombarded with conversation 😂, bottle
- 530 nap (this one is usually in the swing, but lately he has been going down fine in his crib)
- 730pm- nurse, bath/big sister #1 holds him, bottle
- 830pm bed
he usually wakes around 1am, and then again between 4-530am. At the first MOTN feeding I give him a full feed, and at the 2nd feeding I just nurse, then put him in the swing until 730am.
(Yes, we had to create a system so each sibling gets a chance to hold him during the day without hurt feelings. 🙄)
because I nurse and supplement, it takes the full hour to do our feeding routine, which also takes guess work out of his wake time. I’ve found he goes down best with 55min-1hour wake time at this point. When it has gone over that he gets over tired.
If I didn’t have to wake him every 3 hours, his day would be a little messier… I suspect we will get there in due time as he approaches 2-3 months old and his wake time starts to vary, he drops the last nap, etc.
We are following the Wonder Weeks Leaps app, which goes by his due date, while growth spurts are calculated from birth date. He just went through a growth spurt, and for the life of me I can’t get him to stay awake for a full feeding the last 2 days. We are doing all the things- stripping him down, diaper change, cold rag, switching sides while nursing, tickling hands and feet… he is just super sleepy most feedings.
He should be hitting 4-6wk growth spurt this week so maybe that’s what’s going on.
Things I want to remember:
- he loves being held by his older siblings; he looks at them in amazement when they talk to him.
- he loves baths
- he looks most like big sister #3 and has her disposition … and if she has proven anything it is that easy babies become life loving, go at their own pace, Happy-go-lucky children
- at 3wks5days he is 11.5 pounds on my scale, up from 9.0lb at birth
- he is in size 2 diapers
- he has lots of peeling skin, so we use http://quietinthechaos.com/free-hookup-sights/ and how does dating start, He loves having both put on … but it doesn’t really help with peeling skin
- he can be hard to burp and gets hiccups a lot; gripe water sometimes help
- he likes his Wubanubs
- he’s a super heavy wetter, and as much as I LOVE Pampers Swaddlers diapers, we had to switch to the Pampers Baby Dry, because he is always wet. He also poops non stop… Swaddlers weren’t cutting it 😂
- He looks like his Daddy 💕
- he is always on the verge of smiling, you can see it in his eyes… I can’t wait for the real smiles to start
Disclaimer: Some links on this blog are affiliate links; when you use those links you help support my family, at no additional cost to you. Thank you!